Wednesday, August 8, 2012

If I had (more) money


Now, we all wish we had more money, right? Well, so do I. Though, with the added funds that I wish I had I would buy a few things, but those things would not be what you would normally think someone would buy, see I have kind of an attraction or..interest in obsolete tech, either tech that now is no longer used. Or tech that just plain failed to launch. Two of the many things that I would like to buy one day would be first the HP TouchPad, this WebOS powered tablet was HP's one of many, but more recent fortes into the world of tablets.I'll run through some quick specs of the HP TouchPad first, not to bore you just to give you some inside as to what type of device this is. Hp had three price ranges.The base model was US$499.99US for 16 GB of internal storage.
The middle of the road model for $599.99US had 32 GB of internal storage. Yet strangely for the same price you could get one with 64 GB of internal storage, none of the models offered cellular (either 3g or 4g), they were all WIFI based and had no external storage eg: SD or Micro-SD slot.

The second device which I would like to own one day is, in most people another failed product of Microsoft. While Apple and Google had a large section of the phone market already claimed, Microsoft decided they would try their hand at the phone market, so instead of using an older version of the portable version of Windows OS, being Windows CE 6.0, 5.0 or 4.0. (Quick side note, Windows CE 6.0 was based on a highly watered derivative of windows Vista, and that is why most mobile devices running windows CE, be it hand held scanners, Palm devices what have you still run windows CE 4.0 or 5.0, Windows CE running on a much more stable kernel of the Windows NT base.) Microsoft set out to build the new version of Windows CE that would run on the windows phone, code named "Chelan", this version of the mobile Windows OS was to be based on the 2009 Windows 7 OS, the wildly popular operating system which was the successor to Windows Vista.
The Nokia version, being the launch version had a slide out QWERTY keyboard and featuring a 3.7-inch capacitive touchscreen touch screen. It had a Dual-Core Snap Dragon processor, 512mb ram and 8 GB of internal storage for the base model. Now, after reading this post you might be asking yourself, "Why do you want to own these products?" Well, as I stated above, and I will restate, I love obsolete tech or tech that failed too soon, I think that the HP TouchPad would of succeeded , and it's major pitfall was it's OS, using the OS which Hp purchased the rights from an already failing company. If they had used something like Android, or gone out and made their own OS, instead of re-branding WebOS, I think it would of succeeded. I am in no way saying that the actual hardware that HP chose was a poor choice, it is fairly, or at the time was fairly competive with the devices on the market, and if you load a custom rom of Android on this tablet, it can be a pretty nifty tab.
In a nutshell, I would like to own one, or both of these items because to me they are part of technology history and should be preserved.



No comments:

Post a Comment